A SUCCESS STORY
History of the Club
The Royal Connaught Boat Club was established in the year 1868 under the name “Poona Boat Club” on the banks of rivers Mula-Mutha. Utilizing the lake waters of a Bund constructed in 1850 for just upstream of the Fitzgerald bridge. Two existing Boat Clubs named Kirkee Boat Club & R.A. Boat Club assimilated in the years 1883 & 1888 respectively. The Club was renamed as the “Poona Royal Connaught Boat Club” in the year 1889 to honour his Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught, the Commander-In-Chief of the Bombay Army.
He took keen interest in the activities of the Club. Even after he left India, he visited the Club during his subsequent visit to the subcontinent on 25th February 1921. Such was the bond between the Club and its Patrons. For the second time, the Club name was changed to “Royal Connaught Boat Club” in 1928.
The word “Poona” was deleted permanently as by then the Club had become quite popular in the city. The present site of the Club was initially on lease and subsequently in 1876, it was bought by the Club for Rs. 1904/-. Then commenced the work of construction of various facilities such as the Boat Shed and Dressing Room. The Club became operational in the year 1883 after spending Rs. 4,000/-